Queen of the Grue

Queen of the Grue

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Thoughts From a Self Published Writer

I never set out to become a writer. I had other things in mind but when I was told I should publish my writing it put the idea in my head.

Finished the first book, published it and was asked when the next one was coming out. So again, I wrote and published. Now I am being asked for the next book.

My decision to self publish was an easy one. I will admit I did send the first one to a possible publisher and got back a rejection that pretty much said my writing was too weird for the publishing world.

Self publishing has drawbacks. You can't get away with grammatical errors at all, even though you will see them in books of traditionally published books. You're a nobody and how dare you think you are only the same level as King, Gaiman or any other popular writer.

Every review you get is scrutinized, criticized and downright accused of being fake if it is over three stars on Amazon. Until they changed their policy on Goodreads I was on the “I will never read this author, not touching this shit, and avoid this author” lists. I had a lot of company too. We didn't do anything other than just publish what we had written.

Someone was appalled that I didn't have at least fifty novels out. “You should be publishing a book a month at least!” I'm sorry, my brain doesn't work that way. I write when the mood hits me. I know I should be more disciplined but it is what it is.

I'm one of those who thrives on feedback. The more I get the more I want to write. It isn't an ego thing but rather a motivational one. The push I need to go on to the next chapter or story.

No comments:

Post a Comment